HOW TO CHEAT AN AMAZING MACRO SHOT

Monday, June 06, 2016


I've been asked countless times on how I obtain such crisp macro shots, and figured its time to make a post. Can you believe I do with the help of a $2 item and my iPhone 6 plus? ITS POSSIBLE! You can skip out on the expensive camera, use random couch change (LOL) and get this super handy gadget. Having a super cool camera would be awesome, but for now I'm more than satisfied with the results this handy device delivers within my photo's. 

---

LIGHTING

You can have the best camera, but what is a lens without good lighting? Lighting is key in photography and it takes some playing around to find the perfect set up. Some people get all fancy and purchase light boxes, or even make their own which is actually quite easy. I made my own light box a while back, but it dimmed out out my beautiful glittery/holographic polishes in photo's. Again, it's all about playing with the lighting and finding what works. Natural day light is always best, but hey when you're a polish addict who paints their nails at midnight, we need to find alternatives right? Lighting can be tricky as the surroundings/background or the bottle you're holding can make the light bounce off your nails/skin differently. I experience this quite often despite my set up being the exact same every time. It can be a little frustrating but with a few editing tips, life goes on and my photo's are happy. With that being said, you also don't want to ever over edit where it takes away from the actual color of polish. I currently use 1 super cheap desktop lamp with a CFL daylight bulb, and stupid me can't remember the watts. I basically looked for bright white vs dimmed/yellow lighting. Just be mindful that the lamp you have can handle whatever watt bulb you decide to go with. Some people use 2 lamps on either side to get a more even light source, but personally I feel my lighting is fine how it is.

MACRO LENS

I ordered a universal macro lens attachment off eBay for about $2, and the thing works amazing! A while back I heard of a brand called Olloclip, which offers the same lens attachment for phones BUT at a much higher price tag. Different models have different prices, but at the time the one I wanted was $80. I was definitely not about to dish those kinds dollars out, so I turned to trusty ol eBay! I typed typed in 'iPhone universal macro lens ' and a crap ton came up! I always filter from cheapest-most expensive and free shipping. I love ordering off eBay because prices are cheap, but the shipping time can be quite long. For those prices, I ain't complaining! Down below is what the clip attachment looks like, and apologize as mine has some dings and scratches and perhaps some polish stains? It's been quite used and abused at this point but still works like a charm! Although I typed in 'iPhone' this can be used with any phone or device; tablets, laptops, cell phones (any brand) etc. I should add that it also comes with a wide angle + a fish eye lens which could be fun, but I personally don't use them all that often. I can't find the original seller that I purchased from but linked --->HERE<--- is the same product from a different seller. Not saying to purchase from this specific seller, as you should always do research on the seller prior to purchasing. That goes with anything on eBay/Amazon and not just this product.


SET UP

Make sure to have proper lighting in check as mentioned earlier, and down below will be a photo demonstrating how I like taking my macro shots. Everyone has different ways in how they like taking their shots, but this is just my preferred method. Once the photo is edited, you'll be able to see the background color that was used on your nails. Looks really neat once edited and up close! This is roughly how I position my hand and play around the angel of the nail to get the most background bottle color pay off. I want my background to consist of the bottle vs the backdrop. Also, once the macro lens is on I don't soon in with the camera. 


EDITING

When I edit my photo's, I only apply very minor changes as I don't want to distort the true shade of the color. First off, I use an app called Phonto to add my watermark and have come to really like that app for that particular thing. Secondly, I only edit within Instagram's editing tools and use; brightness, warmth and sharpen. I only use brightness and warmth when the lighting has distorted the true color. I usually use the sharpen tool for when I want to just sharpen up the photo and down below you'll see the difference between original and the slightly edited version.

ORIGINAL

EDITED

Here are a few other example's to see why the bottle in the background looks beautiful!



---

I hope that's helped and answered all your questions in regards to how I take my macro shots. Some people wouldn't reveal their secrets but hey? What do I have to lose? I enjoy helping people! I'm thinking to do another post on what my actual set up looks like, would you be interested in that? Show ya how I position my lamp, how I set my backdrop up etc. Let me know!

See ya soon :)






16 comments

  1. Fantastic blog post! Thank you for taking the time to share your secrets. Now if only my nails would grow to look as lovely as yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Everyone is unique in their nail shapes, and yours looks beautiful on you!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Thanks for the tips. I am going to try the bottle background. How do you prevent bottle glare though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed it! As far as the glare, you just have to play around with the position. I don't have many secrets about that, as most of it involves playing around. I love all your nail art and your very talented <3

      Delete
  3. This is a great post I love how the bottle as the background looks for the macro :) I would love to see your set up my photos is one of those things I am always trying to improve on xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and glad you enjoyed reading it! I'll be writing up that post in the near future, so be on the look out <3 - thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. wonderful. I always have asked people what do they use, lamps, camaras even settings on the camara, etc. Thank you for sharing. Love your designs btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this post was of help to you! I don't mind sharing any tips I have, as I enjoy helping people out! I've had some awesome ladies share certain thing's with me along the way in my nail journey and I love to do the same! <3 I'll be posting my actual set up in the near future, so keep an eye out!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing! My macro clip just came in last week and I haven't had the chance to really try it.. I cant wait now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm sure you'll love it and let me know how you're enjoying it! <3

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this post! I love taking macro shots, but I struggle with how to position my nail so half of it wouldn't be blurred out (it might be a lens thing, but I use two different lenses with the same result)
    I would love it if you would post about your set up. I always look for the optimal set up and wonder if I should get a new table. I currently have mine on the dining table, and it works just fine. But I think seeing how others have their set up will help to get better. I should do a blog post about my own set up as well. But only after I'm 100% satisfied with my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and hope it was helpful to you! I notice I still get a bit of a blur, but playing around the position helps a lot. I muster up all my patience when taking macro shots lol Also, when my nails are longer, I get more of that 'tunnel vision' look .. so I tend to keep my nails shorter. Not only for that, but I have quite the C curve to my nail and it isn't as flattering to have them super long. I'll be posting my set up in the near future, so keep an eye out <3

      Delete
  7. Fantastic.. Thank you for sharing ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and hope it was of help <3

      Delete
  8. Great post.Yes I would love to see your set up too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll be posting my set up in the near future, so keep an eye out for that <3

      Delete

You Might Also Like

Popular Posts